Monday, February 26, 2007

God Has a Sense of Humor, You Know...




Well, we attended church yesterday -- the 5 o'clock student mass for the college. Church going has been much, much scarcer now that the kids are here and fidgeting around.

If you're a parent of young children, or have been, you know what I mean. My kids always seem like the loudest, most rambunctious in the place. Sometimes it's easier to stay home than to deal with the potential arguing, crying, whining or meltdowns in public. And naturally quiet places, like church are high up on the situations-to-avoid list.

As I sat there, fighting to keep the king of squirm in my arms, while shushing the queens of chatter who were supposed to be coloring quietly, I thought, What am I doing here? I am not even hearing a thing the priest is saying, yet alone contemplating it. Why am I here?

And then, I laughed to myself as I looked out into the college-aged sea of faces and the answer came into my head: We're here to promote abstinence!

And all of us were doing a darn good job.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Becky said...

(haha, Papa, btw...)

Laura, Have said MORE THAN ONCE: "I go to church so I don't kill my kids, yet I want to kill my kids while we are at church." I should tell you the story of how Teresa turned the lights out once...

The good news is that it gets better. Oh, and you need to pick a church with a daycare until they are 4...

Off to Teresa's First Reconciliation! Aloha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home