Friday, July 11, 2008

Learn About Your Local Farms ~ Part 1









A few of the local organizations in our area hosted a day of farm tours -- where people could visit and learn about the farming practices, meet the farmers, tour the barns, and get to know the animals. The "support your local ___" movement is really picking up steam here, as folks talk about sustainability and environmental issues and the economics of supporting small businesses down the street. So we thought we'd check it out.

The first farm we visited was an alpaca farm. We were all pretty amused by the little sounds these critters make. Should have videoed that I guess. The girls were hesitant to feed them carrots (see the entry Preschoolers Down on the Farm! -- wish I could actually link to it here, but well, I'm lacking the time to figure that out and I'm not as advanced a blogger as cousin Becky!)

Sam however thought it was the funniest thing ever to hold out that carrot and have the hungry alpaca tickle his palm with those gray whiskers. He wanted to do it again and again -- and he did.

I wanted to buy up all of the cozy hats and mittens and woolen blankets for sale in their barn. So warm! So comfortable! Consider us alpaca fans.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Becky said...

ADVANCED BLOGGER?!?

hahahahahahahahaha...

I think I just have more time on my hands. It's either checking out the features of blogging or internet gambling. ;)

Farm fun is ALWAYS awesome!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home