Blueberries and Cemeteries



We've gone blueberry picking four times in the past week. Yum! Today, the girls ran ahead, down the aisle to the other end, in the shade. They quickly raced back to me saying, "There's a sign! There's a sign! Come see!"
So I had them lead me to the sign, which was over one row. It was next to a very small bush that had been planted and dedicated to a person who had passed away. The plaque said that the man had been fond of picking berries. I read it and then continued to expand the explanation for the kids.
We continued with our picking.
Later, their conversation returned to the plaque and the man.
Riley asked, "Did he die by the bush, picking berries?"
Sophia replied, "No, he died in the cemetery."
I have heard this before. My kids think that people conveniently die in cemeteries.
If only life, and death, were so neat and orderly.

1 Comments:
First, I'll comment that I wish I could have some of the freshly picked blueberries. I'm enjoying the supermarkent ones, imagine right from the bush!
And, how the children make sense of their world using what they know as a base is just amazing to watch and hear.
AC
Post a Comment
<< Home